Wednesday 20 August 2008

Self study 19/08/08

Unfortunately I had to work this afternoon but I can treat it as kind of English practise. I spoke to people and tried to catch some new words which I did not know before. I had a conversation about the polish pope during which I had an opportunity of practising my grammar and learning following words:

* a bishop- clergymen who governs a diocese
* an election- voting, choice, selection, judgment, preference
* a priesthood- person called to be a priest
* calling to sth- vocation, proffesion
* a renunciation of sth- sacrifice, rejection, abdication


Getting back home I checked them again on my thesaurus dictionary and I tried to remember as much synonymes of these words as I could. During my work I found additional ones which interested me:

* a sermon- speech on religious or moral subject by a clergyman in a church; long moralizating
speech
* a prosperity- success, good fortune, riches
* a corpse- dead body
* a corporal punishement- physical punishement, such as caning

Another activity which I did this evening was searching some information about globalization on the internet. I visited the wabsite: http://www1.worldbank.org/economicpolicy/globalization/ where I read little bit about this subject. I decided to learn phrases insted of single words and this is what I managed to absorb :
* an significant international opposition- important international opponent, hostility
* an increased inequality- bigger disparity, imprity
* the Chancellor of the Exchequer- cabinet minister respponsible for finance
* to reduce poverty- decrease poor circumstances
My plans for next self study!!!
1) I am going to read some articles or book to improve my grammar and reading skills.
2) I am going to watch TV to learn proper pronunciation of words.

No comments: